Providing a safe and environment for your tenants is a non-negotiable and whilst legislation and minimum standards are enforced on landlords, we highly recommend employing your moral compass for an additional layer of comfort!
The majority of us are tenants at some point of our lives for a number of varying reasons, so ask yourself if you would be happy for a member of your family to occupy the property that you are leasing.
The first rule would be never to gamble with the safety of your tenants.
• Leave smoke alarm management and other compliance issues to the experts.
• Always use fully licenced, reputable tradespeople.
• Do not stall on making big decisions on matters regarding any structural integrity.
• Act quickly on maintenance issues as they arise.
• Keep a financial reserve for repairs so you are not hit hard by an unforeseen expense.